Friday, February 10, 2006

On The Fourth Day Of Riots My True Love Gave To Me...

Castaic, CA

Okay, this is getting ridiculous.

For the past four days there have been race riots between black and Latino inmates at two of the jails at the Pitchess Detention Center jail complex in Castaic. Now, it's spread to a third.

Now, I could talk here about the problems of an understaffed Sheriff's department trying to handle thousands of inmates with one guard per hundred or so prisoners, or go on about the Constitutional landmine that segregating prisoners will cause. Or possibly I could make a comment about the ambiguity of race relations and bigotry in a diverse and ever shifting city like Los Angeles.

But let's be honest, we're all just glad these fuckers are in jail and not running naked down the streets with baseball bats.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid the strained race relations in L.A run deeper than just the prison system. I teach anger management for teens in the South Bay. On occassion I will get a mix of african american kids and latino kids. After a heated discussion I am convinced there hatred for one another is growing. These kids are not all gang orientated. What they tell me if there is a riot at school you are forced to pick a side. If you don't you are going to be on the bad end of a stick.

www.daybreakservices.com

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Actually, I think it's the other way around. These guys in jail aren't learning this dynamic in prison. They learned it on the streets.

The prison system is just a twisted microcosm of the outside world.