Friday, October 13, 2006

Can't Crack A Case For 28 Years? Send In The Nutballs

Garden Grove, CA

Back in 1978, 34-year-old Patricia Ann Neufeld was beaten to death while baby-sitting in Garden Grove. The case has never been solved. Laurie Campbell and Pam Coronado, two television psychics for the Discovery Channel's show, Sensing Murder, pointed police to convicted serial killer Gerald Parker, the "Bedroom Basher" who raped and murdered several women in the Seventies.

There's only one problem.
According to the newspaper, Investigator Elaine Jordan, who worked with the psychics, said they didn't crack the case. Prior to their involvement, Parker had been questioned three times. Additionally, Neufeld's death didn't completely match his MO.

"Maybe I expected too much," Jordan told the newspaper. "Maybe I thought there would be this huge revelation during our time together. I was waiting for it to happen. And it just didn't."
Well, duh.

Now, I'll be the first one in line with the "I HEART PSI" buttons if somebody can show me compelling evidence of psychic phenomena. Bit of an old obsession (and I really mean obsession) of mine, actually. But the vast majority of these people are fucking crackpots who get off on manipulating other people and exploiting their emotional weaknesses. They're con artists. They just happen to have a paying gig to do it on film.

And I just gave them free publicity. Fuck me.

2 comments:

Debutante Kristy said...

Okay, now I'm totally with you on the crackpots. But I do have a certain amount of sympathy for Investigator Jordan, the same way I sympathize with the families who employ psychics.

It's hope.

Granted, it's crackpot hope (now there's a book title for you, right there! CRACKPOT HOPE), but after so long, after everything else has been exhausted...it's all they've got.

Hope of all stripes allows crackpots to make a living.

Fucking hope.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

No arguments from me on that. My problem isn't with the investigator or the family. They're grasping at straws. Twenty-eight years and no answers? That must be maddening.

But it's the cons who get me. They're selling hope. False hope and lies. What's worse, having no answers or having the hope of answers and finding out you've been suckered?