Los Angeles loves its cars. Unlike some places we have fuck all for public transportation. Our subway serves a minor strip of the city. Our buses are filled with crackheads and three card monte dealers. Half of them don't run on time and the other half don't run at all.
L.A.'s a different city than most. More a sprawl, really. Doesn't share the kind of density of New York or San Francisco. As Jim Thompson puts it in The Grifters, "New York isn't big, it's just got a lot of people in it."
Well, L.A. is big. And it takes a lot to get from place to place.
So we drive. Knew a guy lived in Saugus and commuted to Santa Monica every morning. Two hours each way. I used to have one of those commutes. Lived in Long Beach, worked in Agoura Hills. Hell, I still have an hour each way. And that's the short, non-freeway route. Provided mudslides don't close PCH in the rainy season.
That said, it's not surprising that things happen around our cars. For example, looking at the news this morning:
- Man Shot 5 Times, Killed, In Drive-By Shooting
- Man Fatally Wounded In Car-To-Car Shooting
- Maywood Drive-By Shooting Fatally Wounds Bell Man
- Man Strikes Another With SUV In South L.A.
- Pedestrian Fatally Struck In Woodland Hills
- 1 Arrested After Fatal Hit-And-Run Crash On I-710
- 71-Year-Old Woman Fatally Struck By SUV
- SUV Crashes Into Bedroom Of East L.A. Home
- Suspected Gang Member Injured In Drive-By Shooting