Sunday, November 05, 2006

Funny, I Don't Feel Old

Los Angeles, CA,

I'm 37 today.

I'm a Scorpio. So is Charles Manson. This should surprise no one.

My amazing and wonderful wife, who puts up with me despite my incessant snoring and frequent walking into walls, gave me the best birthday present EVER this morning.

Behold! The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of.


It will be taking on honored place among the writing totems on my desk, those things I turn to for inspiration.


In case you're wondering, that's Cthulhu, draped in Mardi Gras beads, sitting atop a Royal typewriter, within which sits Sigmund Freud festooned with Tibetan skull prayer beads. That should explain a lot, right there.

Later today we're heading to the newly renovated Griffith Observatory. They've redone the whole place, cleaning and polishing the telescope domes of the green rust that's plagued them for the last forty years, rebuilding the planetarium, putting in new exhibits and an extra theater, and, thankfully, replacing those WPA torture seats they used to have.

I'm a very lucky man.

12 comments:

Gerald So said...

Happy Birthday, Stephen.

pattinase (abbott) said...

You're not old. Believe me. Many happy returns. 37 is the new 16. Patti

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

That's a great present. Looking at the pictures, I don't know whether to say "Let us talk about the black bird" or "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh whag'nagl fhtagn."

Either way, happy 37th from a guy who'll be saying goodbye to 37 in exactly one month. Which, according to Patti, will make me 18.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

I guess it would make me 17. Math was the reason I flunked out of high school.

Bryon Quertermous said...

Thank God there's somebody out here older than me. Happy Birthday, dude.

JD Rhoades said...

Happy Birthday, Stephen! I've got one of those Black Birds in the office. Now I need a Cthulhu to really freak the clients out.

anne frasier said...

all these kids running around.


happy birthday, stephen!

sounds like you have a cool day planned!

Aldo said...

Happy Birthday, Stephen! When we meet again a birthday libation in your honor. Now, get back to punding out those 50,000 words....

angie said...

Happy Birthday!

Now I know what to get my husband for Christmas...that Maltese Falcoln rocks!!!

Brett Battles said...

I want a Maltese Falcon, I want a Maltese Falcon!

Happy Birthday, Stephen!

Toni McGee Causey said...

Happy (belated) birthday -- hope your day went beautifully.

David Terrenoire said...

Happy Birthday, Stephen, a little late.

Sorry. I've been drunk.

That is indeed a fine present.

The bird, sir.