Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I Blame Agatha Christie

Garden Grove, CA

Poisonings aren't something you see very often in real life. Inside Agatha Christie novels, sure. Or books with wine tasting murders, psychic cats and recipes in the back for "Killer Desserts". I think I just had an anyeurysm writing that. And why is it we never see psychic wombats? Or wallabies? Is it me or are Australian marsupials underrepresented in cozies?

Occasionally, though, an enterprising psycho takes a page from the fictional demise of some opera singer, wealthy ingenue or blackmailing vicar and gives somebody a lethal dose of something nasty. Like cocaine.

Shawn Lawrence Putansu was convicted Friday to life in prison without possibility of parole for the murder of his lawyer girlfriend, Melissa Mitchell, in her Laguna Niguel home back in 2005. He injected her with a lethal dose of cocaine and was found later that day standing naked atop her building and threatening to kill himself. He pretty much confessed to the cops right there.

This is why people shouldn't read cozies. Gives them ideas. Cocaine in lawyers today, curare in Mrs. Anderhaven-Smythe, nosy neighbor and vitriolic head of the Somerset Ladies Knitting Circle and Investment Club tomorrow.

7 comments:

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

I'm thinking we should collaborate on a story in which a nosy, Marple-esque old biddy and her way too clever puddy tat run afoul of some hungry zombies.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Nah, that's a dumb idea. Forget I said it.

inkgrrl said...

Why am I having deja vu here?

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

That's why I dropped it and backed away.

Anonymous said...

I knew Shawn before this happened we were friends(not drug buddys) It's easy to blam it on the drugs
but having delt with drug addiction more than half of my life I can say that I truley believe that Shawn never would have done this when he was sober.

Anonymous said...

Im Shawn's cousin from Maine. does anyone know what prison he got sentenced to? I'm trying to get in touch with him. My email adress is nflgirl12@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I was a close law school friend of Melissa, and can't belive that she is no longer here. I hope that Shawn rots away and dies a slow painful death while in jail.