Sunday, November 18, 2007

You'd Think By Now I'd Have Run Out of Things To Say

Los Angeles, CA

L.A. Noir is two years old today.

That's really not as big an achievement as one might think. It's not like I'm working with a dearth of material here. 77th Street alone cold keep this blog running day and night without a break.

November has always been a time for me to reflect. And there have been some good and not so good things that have come about because of this blog in the last two years. I hope that the positives have outweighed the negatives. But then, you could say that about anything.

Overall, I'm proud of it. Not three million dollar book deal proud. Maybe sniveling child in a school production of O Calcutta! proud. Sort of a proudly disturbed kind of feel if that makes any sense.

I hope that I've been able to bring some humor, no matter how dark, to an otherwise depressing subject. If you can't laugh at the gangland shootings, home invasions, and random bank robberies, you might as well as just shoot yourself now.

Whether I've added to the public discourse or devolved it to the level of caveman grunting, I couldn't say. I'd like to think that I've had something intelligent to say from time to time. Then again, just because you can give a monkey a vocabulary, doesn't make it any less a monkey.

So, for the handful of you who pop by, either just to look at a train wreck or to comment and throw in your two cents, I'd like to say thank you.

And for those of you who have come by to tell me how much of an asshat I am in ALL CAPS and colorful abbreviations, I'd just like to say, "Yeah, and?" At least you stuck around long enough to read.

And can any writer really ask for anything more?

8 comments:

Stranded in L.A. said...

As a lurker of your site, I must say that your blog is one of the most entertaining I've seen in a while! Keep up the great work!

angie said...

"And can any writer really ask for anything more?"

Um...a paycheck?

Happy blog-o-versay! I do need a regular dose of criminal weirdness and god knows l.a. noir hits the vein.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

"Um...a paycheck?"

I stand corrected.

Ana-Lu said...

I'm really enjoying your blog, as a new reader. Whatever you're doing is working!

Christa M. Miller said...

Your posts always make me smile. I like reading the other L.A. crime blogs, but yours lends a refreshing bit of perspective to theirs - which is, I suspect, why the "It's a Crime" guys refer back to you so much!

pattinase (abbott) said...

You supply the crime fiction writing world with ideas here. A selfless service.

Daniel Hatadi said...

Here I go again, weird-arse hand stretching over the horizon to pat you on the back.

Happy blogiversary!

darleene said...

Hey! Belated Happy Blog Anniversary!

Your posts always make me laugh, especially because a lot of what you post is what we're saying aloud as we put these stories together.