Friday, May 02, 2008

Bullets Won't Stop Her

The Edgar Award winners were announced last night, and though I know these are all excellent books, only one name really stands out to me.

Megan Abbott took the award for Best Paperback Original for her novel, Queenpin. It's so well deserved, words fail me.

Seriously, if you haven't picked this up you need to go get it right the fuck now. Along with her previous two novels, Die a Little and the haunting The Song Is You. The woman's a goddamn force of nature. Jim Thompson without the alcohol. Ellroy without the hubris.

So I'm going to stop now before I start getting all poetical and shit. But seriously, get these books.

Congratulations, Megan. Couldn't have happened to a nicer gal.

3 comments:

angie said...

I have to confess I stood up and whooped when I read that QUEENPIN brought an Edgar home for Megan. And thanks to you, I read it!

Naomi said...

It was a great night. Glad I was there to witness it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Me. too. Sarah's coverage was aces.