Sunday, January 09, 2011

You Must Be. Or You Wouldn't Have Come Here.

What we know: Some guy shot a congresswoman and several other people at a public event yesterday killing some and wounding more.

What we don't know: Why.

Oh, you might think you do. I'm sure you have theories. I do. I think he was a schizophrenic nutjob who got hold of a gun. High functioning enough to post meandering rants on Youtube.

But do I KNOW that? No.

I know that no more than others know it's because of right wing rhetoric, Sarah Palin, the mental health industry, the gun lobby, the banks, the economy, Jews, gays, Christians, Pagans or the fucking tooth fairy.

But goddamn it doesn't keep us from saying it, does it?

The kicker? It's nothing new. Oklahoma City? It's them gun-toting freaks! Columbine? Video games and bullies! 9/11? Blame the [FILL IN THE BLANK WITH BROWN PERSON WITH FUNNY ACCENT DU JOUR].

It's like something bad happens and we all lose our collective shit. Which, of course, is exactly what it is.

Take a glance at Twitter and you'll see people saying this is all a right wing conspiracy. That "They" targeted and tried to murder a liberal congresswoman. That Palin should be hanged for being a traitor.

That's the sort of hypocritical thinking psycho Pro-Lifers use when they shoot abortion doctors. It's like saying, "I hate bigots and I'm gonna root out and kill every single one of them."

You can't reason with that. Logic crashes against emotion. Facts become useless. People in the throes of this don't want facts, they want "truth" however it is they see that and they'll stick their fingers in their ears and go "Lalalalalalalala" until you stop talking and go away.

The worst part? We ALL do it.
Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.
The Cat: Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Alice: How do you know I'm mad?
The Cat: You must be. Or you wouldn't have come here.
The economy is shit. Jobs are going overseas. The world is changing. The weird, unobtainable promises that we gave in to are revealing themselves as the sham they always were. The American Dream might as well be Santa Claus.

We're scared. All of us. If it's not because things are changing it's because things aren't changing. It's because we don't know what's around the bend, don't know if we'll have jobs, can feed our families, or can get them the medical care they need.

Nothing is harder to break than fear, especially when we're all in the middle of it. It turns us into three year-olds who just want everything to be okay right the fuck now. And if it takes more than two steps to solve a problem brains start to shut down.

So people look for something to blame.

It's what caused an entire nation to lose it's collective shit and elect a psychopath to office who told them that If they just killed all the Jews everything would be all right.

Remember that. Hitler was elected, which should tell you plenty about collective insanity right there. Plenty of sane people knew it was a bad idea and it happened anyway.

That's the problem with moderates. By and large they don't make nearly as much noise as fear mongers.

So what do we do? Chip away at the insanity with reason and hope some asshole with a .45 doesn't take exception to our poking at his rage-filled id?

Well, yeah, actually.

Pull on your big boy pants (or big girl pants - either/or), take a deep breath and calm the fuck down.

Meeting the rage with more rage doesn't help. Doesn't necessarily stop me, as many of my rants here can attest. It just fuels the fire. This is why it's a bad idea to, for example, burn down that Westborough Baptist church with all those assholes inside it.

Well... No. No, it's a bad idea.

Mostly. I think.

Let me get back to you on that.

2 comments:

Tracy L. Karol said...

Ran across your blog when it popped in one of my alerts. Glad I did. I agree with you on this. I'm Independent, by the way, not that that matters, but I do seriously dislike the current administration. Still, I find it disgusting that both sides (left and right) have politicized this tragedy for their own platform. And yes, I've seen both sides do it -- the left by pointing fingers, the right by accusing the left of making a political play out of it. The fact is that the only one at fault here, in my opinion, is the asshole who pulled the trigger. He alone is responsible for his actions. As a survivor crime, nothing infuriates me more than watching criminals plan the blame game. And here we have a bunch of politicians playing the blame game too. How do they think the victims feels? I can tell you -- like crap. This is about them, not about Palin or Obama or any excuse this guy's lawyer is going to come up with. It's disgusting, and the victims have to live every day with their pain hijacked for some political platform.

OK, that's me venting. Glad I found your page. I'll follow it. I have a blog attached to my website if you ever care to check it out. I'm working on a big crime story right now, in addition to the other stuff mentioned.

Great blog. Thanks.

AngryLogician said...

Came across your blog when I was looking up help for the video game LA Noire...BUT I actually enjoyed this post a lot, so hey. Two birds one stone. Know anything about the game? haha