Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ladies And Gentlemen, We Have A Cover

Here's a story for ya.

So I got this book, right? CITY OF THE LOST. And my editor, Betsy Wollheim over at DAW, says she wants to get a comic artist to do the cover. Maybe some illustrations, too. She asks me if I can think of anybody who might fit the tone of the book. It's noir-ish, hardboiled, violent. Sure, it's urban fantasy, but it's a crime novel.

I say, thinking it'll never happen because, you know, it's me, I'd like this Sean Phillips guy. Amazing artist. He's worked on a shit ton of titles like Wonder Woman, Batman, Marvel Zombies, Sleeper. The list goes on.

Lately he's been doing the Criminal comics with Ed Brubaker. Recently he did a thing with Don Winslow for the L.A. Times called SUNSET ON SUNSET that is fucking phenomenal. I mean Winslow's good, but Phillips hits the artwork out of the park.

The man knows how to draw L.A.

I mean, seriously, what are the odds I'm gonna get Sean Fucking Phillips to do my cover. That's like getting an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle for Christmas. And a blowjob.

So then I get an email with the subject:
Sean Phillips is on board.
I nearly creamed my jeans right then.

So, without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, the cover to CITY OF THE LOST.

Oddly enough, that hole's the least of his problems.


10 comments:

Sabrina E. Ogden said...

"I nearly creamed my jeans right then."

I can totally see why. This cover is amazing! Very very nice, sir.

Mike Sperry said...

Congratulations! Awesome cover!

John Hornor said...

I freakin' love it.

PokerBen said...

Now that's an awesome cover for an awesome sounding book. Can't wait for its release.

Chuck said...

Is it wrong that I want to have sex with that cover?

I mean, it's got a hole and everything.

...

I'll put my pants back on.

-- c.

Thomas Pluck said...

Ha! congrats, that's a great cover. Shot through the heart...

inkgrrl said...

WOOHOO!!!!

Is it still surreal?

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Yes, it's still surreal.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm still stunned. And the book's not even out yet.

And Chuck, you absolutely can have sex with that cover. Once you buy the book.

And since it's made of paper you might want to a five or six copies. Or more.

daniel pattinson said...

Congratulations!I hve been looking for this kind of book.Really find intresting and insightful.
Accredited High School Diploma Online