Monday, December 12, 2011

How Do YOU Think I Should Whore Myself?

CITY OF THE LOST comes out in a few weeks and I'm getting ready to flog it the way a choir boy goes at it when he discovers nudity in National Geographic.

I don't much like doing self-promotion. The surest way to turn me off of anybody (writer, artist, blind hobo date) is the constant hard sell. The unending barrage of, "BUY MY BOOK!" feels like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Of course there's a balance there. How much is too much? That's subjective and for me it goes up and down depending on my mood and whether or not I've taken my meds.

Not that I won't happily pimp somebody else's stuff. To me that's different, though I'm not entirely sure why. I think it has to do with the idea that I'm sharing something that I think is cool and think that maybe you'll find it cool, too.

Instead of the hard sell I'd rather create some kind of connection with people and hope that they find what I'm saying interesting enough to want to buy the book. I have no idea if this will actually work. I also have no idea if I'm actually interesting.

Now I've got some guest blog posts lined up for the week that the book comes out. I've written a couple so far, and I'll be spending the next week or two writing more.

But here's the problem. I'm not sure what else to talk about.

So, here's where you, dear reader (all two of you) come in.

What would YOU like to know?

How I got an agent? How I got the book published? How did it get from point A to point B? My writing process (or lack thereof)? The music I played incessantly while I was writing it? How I feel about publishing, genre, writing in general? What's next?

If there's something you want to know about the book or its writing, or whatever, sound off in the comments below or over on Twitter (@sblackmoore).

Thanks.  I appreciate the assist.

11 comments:

BISH said...

Steve, I'd like to do an interview with you for Bish's Beat. Would you be interested if I sent you through some questions? bishsbeat@gmail.com
www.bishsbeat.blogspot.com

Thomas Pluck said...

I would highly recommend blogging daily with your usual crazy news stories, and getting a bit personal (interests, etc) to get readers talking.
Get the book into the hands of nerds. Get it in stores that are hybrid comic book shops. Forbidden Planet, Dream heaven... I know the L.A. must have their own like that. You have a novel with that kind of crossover appeal and word of mouth remains King.
Best of luck.
I will do my part by ordering your book at my local bookstore.

Mike Sperry said...

If all else fails, you can point people to this

courtmerrigan said...

I want to know about getting the agent & publisher. Looking forward to reading it.

Mar Preston said...

You're new to me. You sound interesting and I'll be back to read more.

KDJames said...

I have no experience with this (yet) as a writer. Just as a reader. So, grain of salt. Or, you know, an entire salt lick.

I don't like zombies. Noir is not my favourite genre. Never even been to LA. But I am going to buy your book and I anticipate I will like it very much. Why?

Well, first of all because I like your wife from back in the day when we both hung out at some of the same blogs. I figure if she likes you, you might be okay.

But also because I can tell from your comments on twitter that you're smart and funny. I love your outrageous #FF suggestions. Plus I've read a few posts over here and I like your voice. So yes, you're interesting and you're entertaining. And a good writer.

Guest posts are a great way to reach new-to-you readers. I'm not saying you *shouldn't* talk about writing or getting an agent or the publishing process. But those are things for writers. I know, writers read, but still. Those are not things to sell a book. Talk about anything OTHER THAN that.

Write something to showcase your voice and personality. Tell a story about your dog. Or the time you moved. Or the time you woke up in that park at 3 AM, naked and covered in honey and snake blood. Oh wait, that was me. Never mind.

Don't sell yourself. Just be yourself. It's enough.

And have a little faith.

KMA-787 said...

Be yourself. Be the original article you are. Any of the items you posit in your post would be informative. Serve to cheer on the unwashed, unpublished masses reading this.

Oh, and standing naked in Th May Co. window on Wilshire, holding your book aloft, isn't a bad idea, either

Keith Rawson said...

Straight up hitting the street corners of North Hollywood in a black leather mini and 8 inch heels... But seriously, maybe dashing out some flash fiction for sites like Shotgun Honey and Grift would do the trick?

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Very helpful. It all goes into the hopper. Even, hell especially, the ones about shaking my moneymaker.

The Eye of Faith said...

Hey Steve,

Just began getting involved in writing online. Always had the passion growing up, but never the push...had to find it on my own, and with careful determination I'm beginning to find my voice. Am looking to get into writing more personal writings...and since you're offering up your own experience in the mix, I can't not ask a few questions.

First, do you have any writing exercises you do to warm up, or do you just go through it?

And what is the process of finding an agent? Where do you start?!

Thank you so much for taking the time! My life often feels very noir, but that's the strange romantic in me. From Toronto, and think it needs some edge!

My email is the.eye.of.faith@gmail.com.

Thanks!!

Private Investigator said...

Hello; great publish for me. Your publish has pretty good quality. I need to has pretty good posts like yours at my website. How don’t you arrive around these posts?