Thursday, January 26, 2012

The CITY OF THE LOST Three Week Release Report

First off, an announcement.

I'll be at Borderlands Books in San Francisco next Saturday, February 4th at 3pm, signing with author of zombie novels FEED, DEADLINE and the soon to be released BLACKOUT Mira Grant (AKA Seanan McGuire). If you haven't picked up those books you owe it to yourself. She's an amazing writer and those novels are the best zombie books written, hands down.

Now CITY OF THE LOST came out three weeks ago and I've been getting asked lately, how's it going?

The short answer is, I think, that it's too early to tell.

I don't have any reliable sales numbers, yet and frankly don't have any context for them. I don't know what "good" is here. Is it only good if you sold 10,000 in your first week? I didn't, in case you're wondering.

I honestly don't know how reliable Bookscan numbers are. Not every bookstore reports to them. Amazon numbers are useless because all they tell you is where you rank in relation to everything else in their store. With no actual numbers attached all that does is give me the illusion of data while at the same telling me fuck all.

As I find out more and figure out how all this works I'll probably talk about it, but at the moment I got bupkis.

That said, I've been busy. Guest blog posts, interviews, signings, reviews. Is it enough to make the book successful? I have no idea.

So here's where I've been and what I've been doing and what people have said about the book:

First off, we got the first 3 chapters of CITY OF THE LOST up at Criminal Element. Check it out. I think you'll like it.

I did a couple of signings at Mysterious Galaxy in Redondo Beach and San Diego and Noir At The Bar last Sunday and I was on an author panel at a local Barnes & Noble.

Got some good reviews.
Then I did some interviews:
And a whole lotta guest blogs:
You know what I've discovered after doing those?

I'm tired.  Seriously, I'm beat.

Overall, though, I think this has gone well.  Won't know for a while if any of this has helped or hindered, if ever, but I went in with pretty low expectations, and so far they've all been exceeded.

Thanks for stopping by.  We'll get back to the blood and guts and dismembered bodies tomorrow.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hey, all the reviews have been great - except that weird fucker who had a fucking problem with fuck being said so fucking much - and you're having fun. I'd say that's a GREAT success. :-)

pattinase (abbott) said...

If you have a spare moment and would like to address the question "How I Came to Write This Book" for my blog, I would be most pleased to post it. I get between 200-300 readers a day. But rest might be more important now.

Sabrina E. Ogden said...

I've always been fond of the word fuck...

Like the Monkey said, you're having a great time. That's the important thing.