Tuesday, April 03, 2012

KHAAAAAAAN... Of Mars

I'm writing a book about a monkey.

Let me back up.

So, the good folks over at Evil Hat had this idea a little while ago to do a series of Golden Age style pulp novels as tie-ins to their games SPIRIT OF THE CENTURY and RACE TO ADVENTURE starting with the book DINOCALYPSE NOW! by Chuck Wendig.

So they created a Kickstarter to fund the project, gauge some interest. Not a huge goal. $5000.00. And if they hit that the second novel in the series, BEYOND DINOCALYPSE, would be greenlit.

And then something interesting happened.

They blew past their goal in less than a day.

And so Fred Hicks, who as I've said before is one really smart motherfucker, kept pushing the rewards. If they hit $10K they'd do the whole trilogy written by Chuck, but at $15K backers would get another book by Brian Clevinger (ATOMIC ROBO). At $20K there'd be yet another book, this time by C.E. Murphy.

Would it end? Could it end?

Last night they blew past their $20K mark and they still have almost 20 days left to go.  As of right now they're at over $22,000.00

Which brings me to this news.

One of the characters in the Dinocalypse trilogy is a hyper-intelligent, tweed wearing ape named Professor Khan. Imagine Sean Connery's character in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade mixed with a very restrained Hellboy and you have a pretty good picture. Only, you know, an ape. And he has trouble working in his ape nature. But sometimes, when things get rough, he, well (apologies in advance), goes ape.

If The Dinocalypse Kickstarter hits $25K, the amazingly talented Harry Connolly (The TWENTY PALACES series) will be writing a new Professor Khan novel in which he plays private detective in the glittery underbelly of 1940's Hollywood.

And if the Kickstarter gets to $30K, I will write the next Professor Khan novel, KHAN OF MARS.

Our edudite ape is transported to the Red Planet where he will engage in... Red Planet stuff. I don't know which stuff, yet, but there will be... ahem...

THRILLS! 
CHILLS! 
SWASHBUCKLING! 
ADVENTURE! 
Perhaps even, dare we say it? (oh, we dare, WE DARE!) 
ROMANCE!

So, if you want to see a book out of me about a 1940's pulp adventurer who happens to be a hyper-intelligent talking gorilla who can rip tree trunks in half with his bare hands, then please, check out the Kickstarter and help get us to $30K.

BECAUSE I REALLY REALLY WANT TO WRITE THIS BOOK.


Thank you.

9 comments:

Nathan said...

My god, and with the lower Martian gravity....

Stephen Blackmoore said...

I know, right?!

Holly West said...

Dude, you convinced me. Heading over to kickstarter right now to make my contribution.

Thomas Pluck said...

I am IN.

Priscilla said...

Fred told me last night. I increased my pledge so fast it would make Barry Allen's head spin! Good lord on a pogo stick, I NEED THESE BOOKS IN MY LIFE.

Fred Hicks (Evil Hat Productions) said...

Ridiculously excited.

RIDICULOUSLY.

Am tempted to requisition a cover where the Prof is cast in the stereotypical "distressed damsel" role (he's a professor! in the middle of a battle!) with a martian battle-babe kicking ass or something, but maybe we should talk more about the plot first. :)

Mike Bentley said...

I hope this makes it to $30k because Khan of Mars is too awesome not to happen.

Teh Josh said...

So. Stoked. So very, very, WICKED stoked.

Dyer Wilk said...

Sounds like Edgar Allan Poe's "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" meets Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom novels. The thing that pulp dreams are made of.