I'll be at Borderlands Books in San Francisco next Saturday, February 4th at 3pm, signing with author of zombie novels FEED, DEADLINE and the soon to be released BLACKOUT Mira Grant (AKA Seanan McGuire). If you haven't picked up those books you owe it to yourself. She's an amazing writer and those novels are the best zombie books written, hands down.
Now CITY OF THE LOST came out three weeks ago and I've been getting asked lately, how's it going?
The short answer is, I think, that it's too early to tell.
I don't have any reliable sales numbers, yet and frankly don't have any context for them. I don't know what "good" is here. Is it only good if you sold 10,000 in your first week? I didn't, in case you're wondering.
I honestly don't know how reliable Bookscan numbers are. Not every bookstore reports to them. Amazon numbers are useless because all they tell you is where you rank in relation to everything else in their store. With no actual numbers attached all that does is give me the illusion of data while at the same telling me fuck all.
As I find out more and figure out how all this works I'll probably talk about it, but at the moment I got bupkis.
That said, I've been busy. Guest blog posts, interviews, signings, reviews. Is it enough to make the book successful? I have no idea.
So here's where I've been and what I've been doing and what people have said about the book:
First off, we got the first 3 chapters of CITY OF THE LOST up at Criminal Element. Check it out. I think you'll like it.
I did a couple of signings at Mysterious Galaxy in Redondo Beach and San Diego and Noir At The Bar last Sunday and I was on an author panel at a local Barnes & Noble.
Got some good reviews.
- Kirkus - A starred review!
- Both the fantasy/sci-fi AND mystery blogs at Barnes and Noble
- Musings Of An All-Purpose Monkey
- My Bookish Ways - 5 out of 5.
- The Qwillery - 5 out of 5 Qwills.
- Rex Robot Reviews - 4 out of 5 robots! ROBOTS!
- Josh Palmatier's review over at the DAW Livejournal page
- Lots of love over at Goodreads
- Russel D. Mclean's site - Talking about the hazards of a missing O and the wonders of startling profanity.
- Chris F. Holm's site - Talking about the cover and art for CITY OF THE LOST by comic artist Sean Phillips
- Do Some Damage - Talking about indie bookstores
- The Qwillery - Talking about noir and the paranormal. In real life. Our Lady Of The Shadows
- Musings Of An All-Purpose Monkey - Talking about my take on weird L.A. The City of Strange Angels
- Chuck Wendig's site - Talking about how not to be scared shitless that I have a new book. Terror And The Debut Author
- John Scalzi's site - The Big Idea behind CITY OF THE LOST
- Though not actually about CITY OF THE LOST I did a guest post at 7 Criminal Minds talking about one of my favorite authors, Joe Lansdale
- And finally, a handful of posts for Penguin's community blog talking about world building, unsympathetic characters, mixing up genres and wrapping up today with the nightmare that is Revisions.
I'm tired. Seriously, I'm beat.
Overall, though, I think this has gone well. Won't know for a while if any of this has helped or hindered, if ever, but I went in with pretty low expectations, and so far they've all been exceeded.
Thanks for stopping by. We'll get back to the blood and guts and dismembered bodies tomorrow.